Principles of Community
澳门六合彩平台网站投注 is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of聽 Virginia, the nation, and the world community. Learning from the experiences that shape 澳门六合彩平台网站投注 as an institution, we acknowledge those aspects of聽 our legacy that reflected bias and exclusion. Therefore, we adopt and practice the following principles as fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of聽 its members:
- We affirm the inherent dignity and value of聽 every person and strive to maintain a climate for work and learning based on mutual respect and understanding.
- We affirm the right of聽 each person to express thoughts and opinions freely.聽 We encourage open expression within a climate of聽 civility, sensitivity, and mutual respect.
- We affirm the value of聽 human diversity because it enriches our lives and the University.聽 We acknowledge and respect our differences while affirming our common humanity.
- We reject all forms of聽 prejudice and discrimination, including those based on age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, and veteran status. We take individual and collective responsibility for helping to eliminate bias and discrimination and for increasing our own understanding of聽 these issues through education, training, and interaction with others.
- We pledge our collective commitment to these principles in the spirit of聽 the 澳门六合彩平台网站投注 motto of Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).
September 29, 2014聽
The "澳门六合彩平台网站投注 Principles of Community" were聽聽by the following eight individuals/organizations:聽
- Deborah Petrine, rector, Board of 澳门六合彩平台网站投注ors
- Timothy Sands, president, 澳门六合彩平台网站投注
- Bernice Hausman, president, Faculty Senate
- Dan Cook, president, Staff Senate
- Elizabeth Lazor, president, Student Government Association
- Greg Purdy, presidents, Graduate Student Assembly
- Matt Winston Jr., president, 澳门六合彩平台网站投注 Alumni Association
- Aaron Bond, chair, Commission on Equal Opportunity and Diversity
March 14, 2005
The "澳门六合彩平台网站投注 Principles of Community" were聽聽by the 澳门六合彩平台网站投注 Board of 澳门六合彩平台网站投注ors on March 14, 2005, by the following eight individuals/organizations:
- Ben J. Davenport Jr., rector, Board of 澳门六合彩平台网站投注ors
- Charles W. Steger, president, 澳门六合彩平台网站投注
- W. Samuel Easterling, president, Faculty Senate
- Sue Ellen Crocker, president, Staff Senate,
- Sumeet Bagai, president, Student Government Association,
- Myrna C. Callison and Yvette Quintela, co-presidents, Graduate Student Assembly
- Raymond V. Plaza, chair, Commission on Equal Opportunity and Diversity
- Kimble Reynolds, 澳门六合彩平台网站投注 Alumni Association